Question:

From Miramar, Florida, USA:

I took my son to the doctor this week because he was drinking a lot of water and urinating frequently. I thought initially that he might have a UTI, but the urine test and came back negative. The doctor sent me for blood work and the diagnosis is suspected hyperglycemia. I am doing research to know what it is. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. Is that the reason of why he is having symptoms? Does that means that both of my children will have it? I am a stay-at-home mom and he does not eat junk food, nor does he get a lot of sweets and candies. He participates in sports. Why does he have this?

Answer:

Type 1 diabetes is not caused by food that a child eats or by poor decisions made by parents. It also is not caused by a mother's gestational diabetes. I would suggest that you talk to your physician about the testing that is being done and, if your son does have diabetes, make sure to talk with an informed diabetes educator about the best treatment.

[Editor's comment: See also What is Type 1 Diabetes?" BH]