Question:

From Oklahoma, USA:

Both my grandfathers are type 2 diabetic. My maternal grandmother is hypoglycemic. I am hypoglycemic, but the endocrinologist says I don't need to worry about getting diabetes because he doesn't think I'll ever get it. I have times where I eat and drink a lot and always have to go to the bathroom. No matter how much I eat, I don't gain weight. I am 5 feet, 8 inches tall and am 17 years old. When I eat breakfast before school, I do well until second hour. I eat at 7:40 a.m. and start feeling low again at about 10:40 or sooner. What could this mean? What is the possibility of me getting diabetes and what form?

Answer:

If you are not heavy, then the risk is less (not impossible) of your developing type 2 diabetes as you age. Type 1 diabetes is a different story. Please read about the Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes on this web site. Your symptoms of increased urination and thirst are suggestive of, but not definitive for, diabetes mellitus. There certainly are many other considerations. Please have your pediatrician or internist schedule you for a "complete examination" so that you have time to discuss your health questions.

Your "feeling low" certainly MIGHT be related to low glucose. But, how do you know? Has anyone properly instructed you in the technique to calibrate, set up and code a glucose meter and how to check your glucose during these times? Ask your pediatrician or internist to instruct you how to do so.