From Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, USA:

My family doctor recently placed me on medication for diabetes. I am taking metformin, 750 mg and Avandia, 4 mg. I am not sure if I should even be taking this medication. Can I go off the medication for a couple of weeks and check my blood sugar levels to see what they are, then determine if I need these? Right now, I check my blood sugar daily. With the medications, it is around 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. I just want to know if it would be any higher off the medications and eliminate as much unneeded medication as possible.

It is not appropriate for me to say whether you should do something against your physician's advice. I do not think that would be a good idea. I would recommend you speak with your physician.

[Editor's comment: If you are not happy with the advice from your family doctor, you might wish to seek the advice of an endocrinologist. BH]

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2