Question:

From Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, USA:

My family doctor recently placed me on medication for diabetes. I am taking metformin, 750 mg and Avandia, 4 mg. I am not sure if I should even be taking this medication. Can I go off the medication for a couple of weeks and check my blood sugar levels to see what they are, then determine if I need these? Right now, I check my blood sugar daily. With the medications, it is around 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. I just want to know if it would be any higher off the medications and eliminate as much unneeded medication as possible.

Answer:

It is not appropriate for me to say whether you should do something against your physician's advice. I do not think that would be a good idea. I would recommend you speak with your physician.

[Editor's comment: If you are not happy with the advice from your family doctor, you might wish to seek the advice of an endocrinologist. BH]

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2