Question:

From Salinas, California, USA:

I'm extremely worried about the thought of possibly developing diabetes. I'm 31 years old with no family history of diabetes, except for my grandmother who had type 2. I don't fit the profile of type 2 since I'm not overweight at all, at 5 feet, 2 inches, 104 pounds.

I have had several tests done and all have come back well within normal range. My fasting tests have come back between 82 and 90 mg/dl [4.6 and 5.0 mmol/L]. I had a random blood sugar of 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L] and my OGTT two months ago after the 75 gram drink was 104 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L] after two hours. I had one A1c test that came back somewhat high at 5.8%, but it could be because I was under a lot of stress the month before the test. The following month, I had another one done and it was 5.1%.

I don't have the classic symptoms such as thirst or increased urination. However, I now test myself from time to time. My fasting blood sugar on my meter always reads between 85 to 95 mg/dl [4.7 to 5.3 mmol/L]. I decided to take a reading after eating two handfuls of mixed nuts, a Snickers bar, and a Chinese meal. After one hour, I was in complete shock that my reading was 181 mg/dl [10.1 mmol/L]. So, I decided to take it again at two hours and it was 144 mg/dl [8.0 mmol/L]. At three hours, I was back down to 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L].

Should I be concerned about this? I have a cold right now, so could this affect my numbers? Do you think that I could have a faulty meter? I noticed that there's usually a 10 to 20 point difference on the high side between the laboratory and my meter. Also, there are times that I test right after one another and there's a 30 point difference. Does it sound like I have diabetes?

Answer:

You do not have diabetes. The glucose load you took in was part of a mixed meal with a high sugar content. Since it was also high in fat, it may have caused some decrease in gastric emptying and prolonged your glucose rise. Do not worry about this at present. Maintain your healthy lifestyle. Remember that the A1c is not used to diagnose diabetes. In addition, the capillary glucose measurements may have up to a 20% error associated with the measurements. That is why the diagnosis is based on glucose levels drawn from blood and run in a clinical laboratory. The OGTT is the most sensitive test and it was just fine.