Question:

From South Africa:

My eight year old son was diagnosed at age three and had been pumping successfully for the last four years using a Disetronic pump. We just changed to a MiniMed Paradigm REAL-time pump. We now use a 6 mm Teflon infusion set in the buttocks. During our first day with a new infusion set, our readings are very good but then it gets progressively worse on days two and three and we often have to replace the infusion set during day two or, at best, day three. This gradual deterioration is a problem for us and results in unexpected high readings. We use Humalog insulin. What can be the reasons for this trend? Other people we know use the same infusion for up to four days with great results.

Answer:

This is often seen in sites and is probably due to a variety of factors. I have several families who change sites every two days rather than every three to control this issue. Sometimes changing site locations or trying NovoLog insulin in the pump can ameliorate this problem.

LAD

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Insulin