Question:

From St. Paul, Minnesota, USA:

I would like to buy a good food scale for my newly diagnosed day care child. She is only 15 months old, so I am very careful to measure her foods before and after she eats, but I feel I'm not always accurate because it's spread off her plate onto the high chair. Her diabetes center recommended a scale that will weigh the food, where you enter the food type and it tells you the carbohydrate count. I found a Salter 1450 Nutri-weight dietary scale on-line. I like that I can enter her most commonly eaten foods (up to 1400 foods can be entered) and weigh it as well. Can you recommend any other type of scale? Cost is not an issue as I've applied for a state grant for diabetic supplies for my child care.

Answer:

The Diabetes Mall offers a selection of gram scales that make it easy to determine the carbohydrate content of common foods. The Salter 1450 is included.

JSH

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other