Question:

From Belle Plaine, Minnesota, USA:

My 13 year old son is very upset these days with school starting. First of all, his blood sugars have been out of control. We are trying to figure out why, but hormones and forgetfulness seem to be the culprit. There are a few times where he will be unable to participate in gym class or football practice. His fellow teammates/classmates give him a hard time and make fun of him. He can usually handle this criticism but, lately, he has been begging me to check into getting something other than the injection shots or the pump, which he is using currently. Is there a place where I can submit his request to be on a list for a transplant or any other alternative method?

Answer:

Transplants and other experimental "cures" are really not a viable alternative at the moment. It sounds like you should discuss these emotional issues with your diabetes team and see if some counseling is in order. If there are local youth diabetes support groups, this is often extremely helpful. Sometimes this is just a phase since the work of diabetes "never ends" and sometimes this indicates more serious problems. Many times, adolescents need their parents to resume more direct supervision and responsibility for a few months as a "respite." This helps to stop the dangerous omitting insulin, forgetting to bolus, test, overeating, etc. But, make sure that your diabetes team is aware of these issues since they should know your family situation and your child's needs more specifically.

Posted to Behavior and Mental Health