From South Wales:

Since the age of two weeks, my son has undergone tests and follow-up for MCADD (Medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency), a metabolic condition. They don't think this is the problem, but we still have no answers. Every time he is hospitalized, he has low sats and low blood sugars that go to high before they settle back to normal. He also gets very weak. Could this be a sign of diabetes? My consultant tells me it isn't as they do not go high first.

I really doubt it is diabetes as you describe it. It is likely another metabolic disease, but with the information provided, I couldn't diagnose it, nor do we do that here.