Question:

From Sand Springs, Oklahoma, USA:

When I look at my daughter, sometimes her eyes look really dark, like a very sick person. As a mother, it scares me to think that something might be wrong. She has controlled sugars and her last A1c was 6.7. Could there be a more severe problem coming on?

Answer:

This is impossible to diagnose over the Internet. I would bet that you are describing "allergic shiners." They are unlikely related to diabetes and it is unlikely that she is dehydrated. However, allergies would also cause such problems. Please consult with your primary care providers and also with your diabetes team since they will be better able to consider alternatives, ease your mind, etc.