Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from October 2006

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. How many grams of carbohydrates should a three year old boy have in a day? Is 180 grams too much? We are concerned about obesity. (31 Oct 2006)

2. Since starting on Synthroid, my blood sugar has been fine fasting, but going up before I eat breakfast. Is the Synthroid causing the increase? (31 Oct 2006)

3. In addition to educators and pharmaceutical sales, what other diabetes-related jobs exist? (31 Oct 2006)

4. Could you give me a comprehensive list of the occupations that are not available to my son because of type 1 diabetes? (31 Oct 2006)

5. Do you know of a safe, quick and effective numbing spray that we could use to encourage our daughter to try new sites? (31 Oct 2006)

6. Can you explain my nephew's antibodies' results? Other than taking insulin, is islet transplantation the best way to treat type 1 diabetes? (28 Oct 2006)

7. What is your current opinion of paying to store umbilical cord blood for potential use in the future for treatment or cure of diabetes or other illness? Would it be worthwhile if the cord blood would help advance research science? (28 Oct 2006)

8. Recently, my daughter's post dinner blood sugars have been a bit higher, probably a sign she is continuing to develop diabetes. Should I contact the endocrinologist? She does an appointment at the end of November. How long does it usually take for the diabetes to progress? (28 Oct 2006)

9. Since their divorce, my parents fight over all aspects of my diabetes care. Is there a web site where they could communicate with each other about my diabetes? (27 Oct 2006)

10. As the only student in his school with diabetes, my first grade son feels "weird," that his peers don't understand diabetes. How should we parents handle this? (26 Oct 2006)

11. In the past, I have tested positive for coeliac antibodies, but my last biopsy was negative. Why is this? Will I definitely get coeliac? How can I prevent it? (26 Oct 2006)

12. I have been told that my state, Indiana, is one of the states that requires insurance companies to pay for all diabetes supplies. How do I find out about this? (26 Oct 2006)

13. My college-aged son has been diagnosed with diabetes. How long until his blood sugars do down? Should he have an endocrinologist at school? Will the hair he has lost grow back? (26 Oct 2006)

14. Usually, my son can tell when he's hypoglycemic but, lately, he's had a funny feeling in his legs often. For him, that's a symptom of a low. Could it be related to the switch from NovoRapid to Humalog? Is it related to growth? (26 Oct 2006)

15. Is there any known link between the use of steroids and the onset of type 1 diabetes? How about for type 2? (26 Oct 2006)

16. Do food allergies or ITP put my son in a higher risk group for developing type 1 diabetes? Is there a considerable connection from the food allergies and ITP to type 1 diabetes? (26 Oct 2006)

17. Can you tell me if having type 1 diabetes will predispose a person to having any of the "antibodies" or "genetic markers" that are found in a person with confirmed celiac disease? During his 15 years with diabetes, my son has had A1cs in the low 6s to 7.6. His current doctor called this "overall inadequate control." Do you agree? (26 Oct 2006)

18. Does brain damage occur every time one's blood glucose drops below 3.0 mmol/L [54 mg/dl] or does it depend on long the blood glucose remains that low? (26 Oct 2006)

19. Can you give me more information about how the low thyroid effects menstruation and about insulin resistance before the menstrual cycle? (26 Oct 2006)

20. My toddler is soon to start pumping. Should he get his flu shot before or after he starts pumping? Why would the pediatric endocrinologist want him to have a TB test? (26 Oct 2006)

21. At the doctor's office, my daughter had a fingerprick reading of 249 mg/dl [13.8 mmol/L], with ketones, glucose and blood in her urine. Later, a venous draw was normal. Could the first test be a false reading? Could there be another reason for glucose in her urine? (25 Oct 2006)

22. Can a teenager's emotional state affect their blood sugar? (24 Oct 2006)

23. Recently, I was unconscious for four hours and I have no recollection of the incident. I had been under stress and had not eaten that day. The doctor said it was hypoglycemia. Could there be something else? (24 Oct 2006)

24. My daughter always complains that her stomach hurts and itches all over her body. Is it related to her insulin? (24 Oct 2006)

25. My child had two fasting glucose readings. One was low, the other 137 mg/dl [7.6 mmol/L]. Could he have diabetes? (24 Oct 2006)

26. Since he is urinating and eating a lot, I'm worried about my four year old son. The doctor wasn't concerned and merely suggested protein powder for his milk. Should I be concerned? (24 Oct 2006)

27. Our son has always had unusual reactions to certain foods. We are awaiting the results of some blood tests. Should we be concerned about diabetes or hypoglycemia? (24 Oct 2006)

28. Would it be possible for someone with a low blood sugar to act violently, to hold a knife at another's throat, unknowingly? (23 Oct 2006)

29. First, I had to take less insulin to avoid lows, now I am battling with highs. What could be going on? Is it possible I have type 2 and have messed up my pancreas by taking insulin? (23 Oct 2006)

30. What are the symptoms of gastroparesis? How can I be sure I need medication? Does it interfere with blood sugar control? (23 Oct 2006)

31. When I inject insulin using my pen and NovoFine pen needles, it feels like my skin is ripping. Could the pen tips be dull? (23 Oct 2006)

32. During his first 10 months with type 1, my son has had excellent control. Now, his blood sugars are higher. Is his honeymoon ending? Will things be as easy for my son when his honeymoon ends? Why can't everyone maintain excellent control for life if they take their insulin, count carbohydrates and do what they are supposed to be doing? (23 Oct 2006)

33. My son wakes up with low blood sugars in the morning. Is this something about which I should be concerned? (22 Oct 2006)

34. Since my grandmother had type 2, I check my fasting blood sugars, which have been normal. My A1c increased though. Is this something to worry about? (22 Oct 2006)

35. After having a full pancreatectomy, how badly will my digestive system be affected? Does the lack of a pancreas affect anything else? Is there any hope, in the future, of having any functionality of a pancreas restored? Does nesidioblastosis have any other symptoms that can affect you later in life? (22 Oct 2006)

36. Have you ever caught type 1 in the very early stages? Is there any way we can stop it from getting worse? (22 Oct 2006)

37. My nan checked my four year old daughter's blood sugar level and it was 10.3 mmol/L [185 mg/dl]. What should I do? (22 Oct 2006)

38. Since the pediatric endocrinologist keeps canceling appointments and not returning my phone calls, I want to take my daughter to another endocrinologist. Would I lose something by doing so? (22 Oct 2006)

39. Is there any truth about the "bouncing" effect, having a really high blood sugar after a low? (22 Oct 2006)

40. Recently, my toddler experienced a series of seizures with left side paralysis. During the seizures, her blood sugars were elevated. All tests were negative. What do you think happened? (21 Oct 2006)

41. My daughter tested positive for one of the diabetes antibodies and has fluctuating blood sugars, so I assume she is going to have type 1. What should we do? The local endocrinologist will not see her until she is actually diagnosed with diabetes. (21 Oct 2006)

42. I read that celiac disease can cause type 1 diabetes. If you have type 1, then get celiac, will your pancreas work if you eat gluten-free? If celiac causes type 1, would there be a cure, besides taking insulin and eating gluten-free? (21 Oct 2006)

43. My son, a cross country runner, is having wide blood sugar swings. He often needs to change his infusion set once or twice daily due to kinking. Is this related to his activity? Should we consider going back to syringes? (21 Oct 2006)

44. Although I no longer have lows during exercise, I am often high afterwards despite a basal increase done at the conclusion of the exercise. How can I prevent these highs? (21 Oct 2006)

45. My daughter recently received the FluMist and has had erratic blood sugars. Are the erratic blood sugars related to the Mist? (19 Oct 2006)

46. My four year old urinates up to 10 times a day, but does not have high blood sugars. Is this a developmental issue rather than a diabetes issue? Or, is there another condition that I should be aware of? (18 Oct 2006)

47. If used properly and diabetes is well-controlled, is natural family planing reliable? (18 Oct 2006)

48. Although tests seem to indicate I don't need to worry about diabetes, my post-meal blood sugars are usually elevated for several hours. Am I "developing" diabetes? Should I be worried or not? (18 Oct 2006)

49. My son, who eats a lot of sugar, has an open anus. What is this called? Is it caused by the sugar? (18 Oct 2006)

50. I have an underactive thyroid. I've heard that there is a direction connection between this and diabetes. Is this true? (18 Oct 2006)

51. I've read that terbulatine can raise blood sugars, but our pediatrician and pediatric endocrinologist disagreed. Why does it say this on the Internet and information pamphlet? (18 Oct 2006)

52. At the Emergency Room this weekend, my daughter's blood sugar was 144 mg/dl [[8.0 mmol/L], then 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Is this something to be concerned about? The ER doctor said it wasn't, but my daughter is very thirsty and slept a lot this weekend. (18 Oct 2006)

53. Have you ever seen a plate with dividers that has sections divided into 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc.? I am looking for something to help with carbohydrate counting. (17 Oct 2006)

54. Can a doctor discriminate because my child has diabetes? A pediatrician has refused to take my son as a patient because of his diabetes. (17 Oct 2006)

55. My teen daughter, an athlete, has leg cramps and dry skin. She had an enlarged thyroid, but other tests were negative. What else should we look for? (17 Oct 2006)

56. At school, our six year old son is having a difficult time focusing and following directions. Is there any link between learning disabilities and diabetes? (17 Oct 2006)

57. At my son's school there are eight students with diabetes, well above the national average. Why do you think this is? (17 Oct 2006)

58. I have type 2, PCOS, and hypothyroidism. I am constantly tired and nauseous, especially when I take my metformin. Sometimes I get dizzy. What could be going on? Is there something other than metformin that I could take? (17 Oct 2006)

59. When I eat something high in carbohydrates, my blood sugar goes up pretty high, then drops fairly quickly. With a burrito, the drop was much slower. It is related to the fiber? Is this a food I should avoid in the future? (17 Oct 2006)

60. With type 2, what are the consequences of taking an oral medication but not altering diet? With no dietary changes, can someone with type 2 develop type 1? (17 Oct 2006)

61. My daughter tried the Freestyle Flash meter at the CWD pumping conference and loved it, but our prescription coverage does not cover Freestyle supplies. What steps should I take to change this? (16 Oct 2006)

62. What is the low blood sugar level that is considered dangerous? We recently read that anything less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] affects you mentally. (12 Oct 2006)

63. Our nine year old complains that her feet fall asleep when she sits. Is this related to her diabetes? We were told she would not have side effects until she'd had diabetes for seven years. She's had it for five years. (12 Oct 2006)

64. Does using medications with epinephrine cause someone to have low blood sugar levels? (12 Oct 2006)

65. I know a boy who was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and is taking twice daily injections. Can he take pills if he gets his diabetes under control? (12 Oct 2006)

66. Given her positive GAD test, low C-Peptide and GTT results, will my daughter get type 1 diabetes? (12 Oct 2006)

67. In general, we check our son's blood sugars before meals and at bedtime. Sometimes, between meals, he will be very high, only to drop low in about two hours. Are these fluctuations normal for someone diabetes? (12 Oct 2006)

68. We are using saline to dilute NovoRapid for our nephew's pump. Will be any change in the onset or duration of action of diluted NovoRapid? (12 Oct 2006)

69. As a dancer, our teen daughter is bothered by a lipoatrophied spot on her abdomen. Do you know of any treatments, injections, etc. that can reverse or treat the site? (12 Oct 2006)

70. As an independent 19 year old college student who works part-time, what can I do about health care and medicine? I no longer qualify for Soonercare. (12 Oct 2006)

71. My teen son has frequent highs, A1cs in the 14s, has been in DKA, etc. We monitor him, but he still runs high. What should we do next to help our son before he becomes worse? (11 Oct 2006)

72. At 12 weeks, I am extremely insulin sensitive and am constantly having to eat to avoid hypoglycemia. How long will this last? Do type 1 diabetics in good control often gain more than other women during pregnancy? (11 Oct 2006)

73. How should my son deal with his pump while skateboarding or snowboarding? He's concerned about breaking it or dropping it. (11 Oct 2006)

74. Although our son maintains good dental care, his teeth are yellowish. The front two teeth are also bumpy. Is it possible that excess sugar left in his saliva has contributed to this discoloration? What can we do about it safely? (11 Oct 2006)

75. How many carbohydrates are in breast milk? What do you recommend for moms who are breast feeding infants with type 1 diabetes? (10 Oct 2006)

76. How much is considered "excessive thirst?" My toddler drinks 50 to 60 ounces of water daily. (9 Oct 2006)

77. Should you or shouldn't you refuse a breathalyzer test if you haven't been drinking, but your blood sugar level is high and also took Benadryl for your sinuses? (9 Oct 2006)

78. My nephew was diagnosed with type 1 last week. What could have caused it? Was it caused by a virus or immunizations that he has already gotten? (9 Oct 2006)

79. My son has had CA-MSRA three times in four months. Does the risk of serious problems increase each time he contracts this? What are the consequences of repeatedly contracting MRSA for a diabetic? (9 Oct 2006)

80. Since going on insulin in August, I have been losing my hair. Why is this? Is there a special shampoo for people with type 1? Will my hair grow back? (8 Oct 2006)

81. The pediatrician feels my four year old is in the process of "getting" diabetes. Should I take her to the pediatric endocrinologist now or wait until she clearly needs insulin? If she starts insulin now, might it prolong her honeymoon? (6 Oct 2006)

82. Although I made mistakes when younger, now I would like to have a career helping others with diabetes. What do I need to do? (6 Oct 2006)

83. Due to increase thirst and urination, I had a fingerstick test and blood drawn. The fingerstick result was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Should I be concerned? (6 Oct 2006)

84. My son has sickle cell trait and type 1. Could his A1c be affected by the sickle cell trait? Should he have a different test to assess his diabetes management? (5 Oct 2006)

85. The pediatrician said my daughter has hypoglycemia, but the endocrinologist says her blood sugars aren't low enough. Do some doctors not acknowledge reactive hypoglycemia? Should we just treat with diet or get another endocrinologist? (5 Oct 2006)

86. Given the recent information about neonatal diabetes, should I have my son tested? He was diagnosed at 23 months. Would it be valuable to know if he has any remaining islet function? (5 Oct 2006)

87. I have been diagnosed with type 1. My dad has kidney disease because of his diabetes. Am I likely to get it? Is bubbly or foamy urine a sign of protein in urine? Will traces of one's menstrual cycle give false protein readings during a reagent stick urinalysis? Since my A1c at diagnosis was 15, will I automatically have complications? (5 Oct 2006)

88. Since my three year old has type 1, is there a blood test that can be performed at birth to determine if my new baby will develop diabetes? (5 Oct 2006)

89. My patient with type 2 diabetes has bursitis. Nothing seems to help with the pain. What do you recommend? (5 Oct 2006)

90. What do you know about the efforts of Dr. Walter Pierpaoli to cure type 1 with xenogeneic islet grafting with no rejection using mini pig islets? (4 Oct 2006)

91. In a year long coma, my son developed diabetes. His blood sugars have remained elevated since the doctors decreased his desmopressin. If they decrease his feedings and increase his desmopression, won't it help lower his blood sugars? (4 Oct 2006)

92. My son has what is now referred to as idiopathic glucose intolerance. Will it get worse with time? Does a parent with pernicious anemia make a child more likely to have a certain type of diabetes? (3 Oct 2006)

93. I want to start going to a gym. Are supplements like whey protein and creatine safe for me? Are they safe for healthy people? (3 Oct 2006)

94. Using a continuous sensor, my son's blood sugars were rarely the same as the home glucometer. Is it safe to base his bolus on the sensor reading? What is the rate of error with current glucose sensors? (3 Oct 2006)

95. I want to keep my blood sugar level in range through diet and exercise. So, should I use sports drinks after exercise or avoid them altogether? (3 Oct 2006)

96. Sometimes my insulin makes my blood sugar drop from dancing, but I usually am high afterwards. Is this normal? What should I do to prevent the highs? (3 Oct 2006)

97. Diagnosed 19 months ago, my daughter has excellent control so the doctor suggested we stop insulin. Her blood sugars are still in range, but is this stressing her pancreas? Do positive autoimmune antibodies confirm this as type 1? (2 Oct 2006)

98. Diagnosed in April 2006, my son was low in the mornings, then high. Why is his diabetes so difficult to manage? When I move to Washington, D.C., where can I find a doctor for my son? (2 Oct 2006)

99. The diabetes doctor says my son has "diabetic diarrhea," but the GI doctor says there is no such thing. Anti-diarrhea medications do not help. Do you have any suggestions? (2 Oct 2006)

100. I am 33 weeks pregnant and have PCOS. Although I passed my OGTT, but my endocrinologist wants me to check my blood sugars and watch my food intake. Should I be concerned about random highs? (1 Oct 2006)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts