From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

I was planning to start going to the gym and wanted to know how safe supplements like whey protein and creatine are for me. Are they safe for people without any health problems because many of my friends still use them?

What is the purpose of the nutritional supplements? Is it to be healthier? If it is, I would suggest eating a healthy diet and doing a healthy amount of exercise. If you want to body build, that is a different question. You really have to do a lot of exercise to keep that up. If you don't, I am always concerned that the extra weight you put on turns to fat. The supplements people use when they body build vary. The whey protein is not necessarily bad. If you have diabetes, there is a concern about the excess load of protein you put on your kidneys. This could be excessive if you already have microalbuminuria. The creatine does not necessarily worsen blood sugars. However, you have to ask yourself again, why are you using it? This is really only used for body building. People get into trouble with this supplement when they think a little is good and a lot is better. Some of the side effects with creatine include weight gain, water retention, diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset, and muscle cramping.