From Amherstdale, West Virginia, USA:

I've been a diabetic for about eight years and have learned a lot about my condition. I'm a year away from graduating and would like to have a career helping younger kids like myself who suffer from diabetes. I've made a lot of mistakes and haven't always done what I was supposed to over the years and now my doctors are really concerned about what's going to happen to me. I always felt like I never had anyone to talk to, because there was no one else who had diabetes. I think this is one thing I could actually be good at and I just need to know what kind of classes I should take, or how I can become this, and if there's any advice you could give me to accomplish this goal!

Thank you so much for writing and sending in this question. I am very proud of you and your hard work in taking care of your diabetes. Please do not be too tough on yourself for what happened during your younger years. As we all know, teenage brains and diabetes self-care are not always an easy combination. What matters is what you are doing now and what you will continue to do. You will never be "perfect" but, instead, try to do the best you can. I am a believer in the support you can get from others with diabetes. This web site can offer that, as well as meeting people in your area.

If you are looking into a career helping people with diabetes, there are so many ways to help and also have a wonderful career for yourself. Depending on your interests and talents, there are options, such as becoming a nurse, social worker, psychologist, dietitian, exercise physiologist, pharmacist, or physician. There are also opportunities working at diabetes camps for children and diabetes organizations. You may want to check out the web site of the American Association of Diabetes Educators.