From Nashville, Tennessee, USA:

I am a healthy 44 year old woman. In August 2006, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. There is no familial history. I exercised and had a healthy diet prior to diagnosis. When diagnosed, my A1c was a little over 13. I had been having symptoms for three months and was immediately put in the hospital because I was in DKA. I am now on 12 units of Lantus and NovoLog prior to eating. My blood sugars are probably still not normal. When I started insulin, I began losing my hair. Why is that? Is there a shampoo I ought to use for type 1 diabetes? Will my hair ever grow back?

There are many reasons for hair loss. However, if it is not related to an obvious change in hair shampoo or treatment, it is probably related to the stress of the new diagnosis of diabetes. If the hair follicles are not scarred and there is still hair growing back, the prognosis is good for the hair to stop falling out.

Posted to Other and Insulin