Question:

From Abita Springs, Louisiana, USA:

There was a recently asked question with which I was unhappy. About the breathalyzer, should you or shouldn't you refuse the test if you haven't been drinking, but your blood sugar level is high and you also took Benadryl for your sinuses?

Answer:

In many states, just refusing to take the breathalyzer is a crime and subject to stiff penalties, so I would not recommend this. There are very few substances that will interfere with the current breathalyzer tests. I am not aware of any reports of Benadryl causing this. The best way to avoid being convicted of drunk driving is to not drink and drive. A lawyer should be able to fight appropriately the very rare occurrences of a false breathalyzer reading.

MN

Posted to Other and Behavior