Question:

From Texarkana, Arkansas, USA:

Recently, I was told I have hypoglycemia so I have been researching it on the Internet. I came across information on epinephrine. I am confused. Does using medications with epinephrine cause someone to have low blood sugar levels?

Answer:

No. It means that whether you take a medicine with epinephrine or whether you have hypoglycemia and your body secretes epinephrine to reverse the low blood sugars, some of the symptoms are the same. One of the safety mechanisms the body has in place to protect against low blood sugars is to secrete epinephrine on demand. The result is the group of symptoms that include fast heart rate and palpitations, sweating, anxiousness, hunger, and tremulousness.