From Florida, USA:

My grandmother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. She already suffers from heart disease, high cholesterol and triglycerides and high blood pressure. She takes an oral medication to treat her diabetes. Her diet has not changed since she was diagnosed. She eats processed foods, candy, desserts, etc., and drinks three or four cans of soda everyday. She gets no exercise, spending the bulk of her time on the computer. What are the consequences of taking an oral medication but not altering diet? Is it possible for her to develop type 1 diabetes due to her current lifestyle?

Most physicians like to see patients utilize good lifestyle choices, in addition to their medications, in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. If you only take the medications, but do not change your diet or exercise, the medications will not be as effective. In addition, if the blood sugars are not kept in good control, there is a greater likelihood that you will need additional medication, and even insulin, to treat the diabetes. This is the progression of type 2 diabetes. I would not characterize it as changing into type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Type 2