Question:

From Point Pleasant, New Jersey, USA:

My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He attends a middle school with a total of 782 students, grades six through eight. In this school, there are eight children with diabetes who all take insulin injections. I just read on the ADA web site that the incidence of diabetes, including both type 1 and type 2, in children has increased to 1 in 523 children. Doesn't eight type 1 diabetics in 782 total children seem extremely high or am I misinterpreting something?

Answer:

You are right, his school has about one in 100 or five times the national average. That's okay there is nothing wrong; diabetes isn't "catching.." It is the how science works and is related to the age/race/sex mix of your school. The family history of your school all likely contributed, but it could be chance alone.