From Oak Ridge, North Carolina, USA:

Can a doctor discriminate because my child has diabetes? I was looking for a new pediatrician for my son who has type 1 diabetes. While the office was taking our information over the phone, they asked at the end if he had any chronic illnesses. I told them about his diabetes and they said this doctor will not take new patients with diabetes. Completely surprised and shocked, I told them that he had an endocrinologist that he sees every three months for his diabetes and they still said "sorry, but no." I called the ADA (American w/Disability Act) and they said this was discrimination but, when I called the medical board, they said doctors can rightfully decide who they want to treat. This seems absurd. Can you tell me who is correct?

It would be difficult to move forward with a claim of discrimination under ADA or 504 unless the argument can be made that a doctor's office is a place of public accommodation and is not physically accessible to a person with a disability. I suggest contacting your state's licensing board for further guidance.