Question:

From Downey, California, USA:

My 11 year old son eats too much sugar. One day, he was complaining about soreness in his anus. When I looked at it, it seemed that it was not closed, but open. Do you know what this is called? I been checking it regularly and it stays open. It's not always sore, but we ate some spicy stuff the day before. Can sugar be a cause for the openness? If he wears a diaper, would this make it worse? Sometimes, he urinates in his bed, too. How common is this with boys?

Answer:

Your best resource for complicated medical questions is to have a thorough history and physical examination done at your son's pediatrician's office.