From Denton, Texas, USA:

I am seeking information on the effectiveness of natural family planning (NFP) for women with type 1 diabetes. If used properly and diabetes is well-controlled, is NFP reliable? My church opposes other birth control methods. I appreciate any help; information on this seems very hard to find.

The rate of pregnancy is higher with natural family planning than it is with oral contraception, IUD, or multiple barrier methods. I would recommend you speak with your physician or physician's nurse about recommended resources. The most important thing about pregnancy with type 1 diabetes is that you are healthy enough to be pregnant and that your pre-conception blood sugar control is good enough to minimize the risk of birth defects from high blood sugars. It does not help to reduce birth defects by correcting high blood sugars after a diagnosis of pregnancy. It is much more affective to correct blood sugars before you get pregnant.