Question:

From South Windsor, Connecticut, USA:

Is there any truth about the "bouncing" effect? It happens when your blood sugar goes real low and then bounces back really high. My daughter sometimes get high numbers that sometimes can't be explained. She is 15 and on a pump. We are presently working with her doctor

Answer:

I think it depends on the person. With no insulin around and food in, then glucose goes up. I often wonder if the low isn't overtreated and the hormones (cortisol and adrenal hormones) are released to counteract the low and then raise the glucose too high. Certainly, we try to deal with the lows first before the highs. You don't want to get on a process of highs, too much insulin, then a low.