Question:

From South Windsor, Connecticut, USA:

My child is presently going to a pediatric endocrinologist practice. This practice has many patients. I've had appointments cancelled at the last minute and rescheduled at the last minute. Phone calls are not answered within 24 hours. There are only two pediatric endocrinology practices for which my insurance will pay. I was thinking about going to an endocrinologist who does not have such a busy practice. However, would I be losing some benefit by leaving a pediatric endocrinology practice? My daughter is 15 years old and has had diabetes for over five years. She is on a pump, but we are having problems controlling her blood sugar.

Answer:

It's important for you/your daughter to feel comfortable with your endocrinologist. Have you discussed with the office the issues with not getting calls returned and cancelled appointments? If there is an office manager, I am sure he/she would want to hear about the problems. Although some pediatric providers may disagree with me, I think your daughter may be fine seeing an adult endocrinologist. However, some adult providers are not able to accept teenagers in their practice. I would call around and see if an adult provider would see a 15 year old on a pump and, if so, make an appointment and see if you like that office better.

MN