From California, USA:

Is it normal for an A1c to fluctuate in a non-diabetic? I had a fasting glucose done two months ago and it was 85 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L] with an A1c of 4.9. Recently, my fasting blood sugar was 82 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L] and my A1c was 5.3. Since both fasting blood sugars and A1cs are in normal range, do I need to worry since the A1c increased? I have monitored my fasting blood sugars since my grandmother had type 2. All have been normal. I do not have increased thirst, urination, or weight loss. I also had an OGTT when I was pregnant recently and it was completely normal.

At this point, I am not sure that I would be too worried about these. The amount of fluctuation you see in the low end of the assay is not troublesome. They are all in the normal range. An A1c should not be used for the diagnosis of diabetes. The fasting glucose is still considered the gold standard. Keep up your healthy lifestyle choices.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c