Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I have been using NovoFine pen needles for the past month after I recently switched back to injections. However, sometimes when I inject my insulin using a pen, I feel my skin ripping! This often does not hurt, but it is an uncomfortable feeling. Is this possibly due to the pen tips being dull?

Answer:

Are you reusing the pen needles (using more than once each)? If so, this could definitely be the cause. With the thinner and shorter needles that are out now, I find they quickly get dull with any re-use. If not, I cannot really think of other causes except for injection technique. I would have a diabetes educator watch your injection technique with both the pens and syringes and see if he/she can identify the problem.

MN

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care