From Vilamoura, Portugal:

I was unconscious for four hours and have no recollection of what happened to me. The people around me told that I repeated all the time, "I'm going to die. Where am I? What am I doing here? What happened to me?" They said they answered that I fainted, but it seemed that I did not hear what they said. My blood pressure went to 90. When I came to, I was in the hospital and I could not remember anything. My memory came back slowly. I was very busy and very stressed with my work and preparations for my son's wedding on the following day. I had not eaten much that day. I can't remember how it started, but that day I felt very slow. The doctor did a blood test and said I have hypoglycemia, nothing more. Now, I'm going to another doctor for a check-up and I'm very scared.

It sounds like you had a very frightful experience. I hope this has not recurred. Hypoglycemia is only one cause for the type of symptoms you describe. I assume that you do not have diabetes. The doctors will have had to have measured your blood sugar at some time while you had this episode and found it low. If this were only a single occurrence, the doctors still have some detective work to understand why this happened. It is very important to know why so the correct therapy can be used to prevent this from happening again. Low glucose can occur from tumors that make insulin. It can be the result of poor nutrition over a prolonged period of time. There may be medications that cause it. It can be caused by the production of low amounts of adrenal hormone. I hope you get the picture that your doctor has to help you find out the source of the problem. If low blood sugars are truly the reason for the symptoms, keeping some form of glucose with you would be helpful. This might keep you from having another episode. I would also recommend that you not skip meals and put yourself at risk for a recurrent attack.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia