Question:

From Lufkin, Texas, USA:

I am a 14 year old type 1 diabetic and I have been since I was six. My parents got divorced about two years ago and my control has gone off the wall. My parents argue over strips, insulin, my meter (I have about two or three that I leave at the others' house when I go to the other parents', which is ridiculous). They fight about strips, who will take me to the doctor and so on and so forth. I was wondering if there were a web site where they could communicate with each other, to send messages back and forth with reports on my diabetes and other issues because I feel this would really help me regain control over my diabetes and cause less stress within my struggling family.

Answer:

You could start with the CWD Forums, which has a teen section. You can share your experiences with other teens and ask for their advice.

I know that stress can make diabetes control challenging. Have you talked to your parents about how their arguing impacts you? Let them know that you want to have good control of your diabetes but that they are making it very hard for you. You can also try to take charge of your diabetes care -- you're certainly old enough to begin that process.

JSH

Additional comments from Dr. Philip Ledereich:

I also suggest that you discuss the issues with another trusted adult/physician/counselor/cleragy and get them involved to help break the cycle of problems so you can help to get control of the diabetes and the situation.

PSL