From East Java, Indonesia:

My nephew went underwent several tests and the results are: Islet Cell Autoantibodies CF greater than 1:8 titer (reference range less than 1:2) and Insulin Antibodies 2.1 (reference range less than 1.0). What do they mean?

Other than taking insulin, is islet transplantation the best way to treat the juvenile diabetes? I read some articles about this transplantation and the results showed that the patient became insulin independent after the procedure.

The antibody positive results merely suggest that this is classical type 1 diabetes and not type 2 or other types of diabetes. The results help with research but not much with clinical decisions, unfortunately.

Islet cell transplantation is still more a "potential" cure than a reality. You are correct that the newest data from the most successful protocol, called the Edmonton Protocol, was initially successfully, but it was not sustainable. This shows proof-of-concept, but needs a lot more work on multiple areas of our understanding and research endeavors.

Posted to Other and Research: Cure