Question:

From Potomac, Maryland, USA:

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 when she was five. She is having insulin absorption issues on her favorite site (her stomach) despite rotating sites in the area. We are trying to encourage her to use other sites. Her arms and legs only work moderately well, since the tubing interferes with her normal activity and has been pulled out several times. I would like her to try hip and bottom, but she is reluctant. She was at diabetes camp this year and several girls there used some type of numbing spray before inserting their infusion sets. My daughter has asked me to get some for her. I asked her pump nurse but she is only familiar with EMLA cream. Do you know of a safe, quick and effective numbing spray that we could use to encourage our daughter to try new sites?

Answer:

Gebauer's Ethyl Chloride can be used. It requires a prescription.

NB

Posted to Insulin Pumps