From Lancaster, California, USA:

When my son was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, his doctor told him he "could be anything except a commercial air pilot." However, he has been told he can't be an EMT, a police officer, a firefighter, or join the military. Could you give me a comprehensive list of the occupations that are not available to him because of his condition? He would really like to know before he sets any more goals he won't be able to attain.

I know EMTs and police officers who have type 1 diabetes, so I would not exclude those occupations. The U.S. Military will not allow people with type 1 diabetes to enlist, but there are other ways to serve if that is your son's interest.

[Editor's comment: At this time, we are unaware of such a list. BH]