From Iran:

We need to know the typical total daily carbohydrate amount suitable for our three year old who is using a pump. We know it's different from one three year old boy to another and it depends on other factors, too. We also know and are concerned with the fact that nutritional needs for growth should be fulfilled, but fear of obesity (with a pump) is a concern for us. too. We'd appreciate a "typical" total daily carbohydrate amount or, more preferably, a "range." The boy is currently having about 180 grams of carbohydrates daily. Do we not have an insulin excess?

Since nutritional needs are very unique from individual to individual, I would recommend that you make an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He or she can assist you in developing an appropriate meal plan for your child. Ask your physician or endocrinologist if you need a referral to a dietitian.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

Yes, a number of factors come into play.

One of the potential advantages of any type of basal-bolus insulin plan, such as using an insulin pump, is that, in theory, the person with diabetes can eat essentially the same as the non-diabetic--as long as the correct amount of insulin is being given to "cover the calories." So, in theory, there are not "too many carbohydrates" to be given. But, in reality, I still prefer my diabetic patients to avoid simple sugary items.

So, for a three year old, I'd give a rough estimate that each meal would provide 15 to 30 grams of carbohydrates (one to two "Carbohydrate units") and snacks would be maybe 15 grams or less. Your child's dietitian could provide more specifics for YOUR child.