Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from November 2006

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. At 76, I've had type 1 for 28 years and have A1cs from 7.0 to 8.0. However, my cholesterol is high and I'm allergic to statins. How do I compare with my contemporaries? Am I likely to live to age 95 or greater? My parents lived to 93. (29 Nov 2006)

2. Are there any risks associated with using Levemir while pregnant? (29 Nov 2006)

3. When will Symlin be available in pen form? (29 Nov 2006)

4. Is it unusual for a person with type 1.5 or LADA diabetes to be able to achieve control through diet and exercise for over five and a half years? What is the best treatment for LADA? (28 Nov 2006)

5. Where can I learn about carbohydrate counting? I've been doing things the way I was taught in 1988, but I want to take better control of my blood sugars. (28 Nov 2006)

6. Can a C-Peptide test can determine if production of insulin is natural from the pancreas or supplied only by insulin injection? Is there a test to see how much insulin the pancreas still produces naturally? (28 Nov 2006)

7. Can there be resistance or restriction of insulin's transcapillary movement due to any disorder resulting into decreased effect of insulin? (28 Nov 2006)

8. My teen son has had two pulmonary infections recently. Could they be related to his diabetes? Are type 1 diabetics more susceptible to pulmonary infections? (28 Nov 2006)

9. Do antidepressants affect glucose control? Do they cause someone to change their insulin dose? (28 Nov 2006)

10. When low, my son has irrational and sometimes violent episodes. Is this common? (28 Nov 2006)

11. Recently, my daughter has been complaining about pain in her eyes and has been urinating frequently. Should I have her checked for diabetes? Her grandmother has type 1. (27 Nov 2006)

12. When I change my son's infusion set, his blood sugar rises for about six to eight hours, even if I do corrections. What do you think the problem is? (27 Nov 2006)

13. I want to help my girlfriend stay healthy. If she only checks her blood sugar once or twice a day, is that healthy? What happens if she takes less than her usual four shots a day? What are the average ranges of blood sugars? (26 Nov 2006)

14. For the past two months, my feet have been cold constantly. After 12 years with diabetes, could this be a sign of neuropathy? I have had pretty good control. (22 Nov 2006)

15. Since he started pumping in July, my 13 year old has often had moderate to large ketones. Could he use Lantus for half his basal? I want him to use his pump for half his basal insulin and his boluses. (22 Nov 2006)

16. Has there been any research done recently regarding the correlation between the onset of diabetes and the flu shot? (22 Nov 2006)

17. Today at school, my son was treated for a low differently from our protocol. Sent back to a test 10 minutes after being low, he did poorly on the test. Should I ask that he be given a re-take? Can a low blood sugar affect his concentration? (22 Nov 2006)

18. My three year old has had large urine ketones on several occasions. All blood work was negative for diabetes. What else could cause large ketones? Although she is thin, she eats well and drinks a lot. (22 Nov 2006)

19. My daughter has type 2 and takes insulin. For the past month and a half, she has been running low and has not gone over 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. Why is this? (21 Nov 2006)

20. What do you know about the Aviator pump? I understand it will work with the Navigator continuous sensor. (20 Nov 2006)

21. The other night, my daughter, who has symptomatic hypoglycemia, was in a lot of pain and had slightly elevated blood sugars. What does this mean? Is she heading towards type 1? (20 Nov 2006)

22. What are the effects of a high A1c on my teen daughter's body? Also, she smokes and has used drugs. (20 Nov 2006)

23. With random blood sugars over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but no symptoms, could my daughter have diabetes? (20 Nov 2006)

24. My Mongolian friend injects her daughter with the same dose of insulin every three hours. She has no means of checking her blood sugar. Is this method normal? Has she received faulty medical advice? (20 Nov 2006)

25. For the past year, my daughter, a competitive swimmer, has had an elevated A1c, even though she takes a lot of insulin. Is her exercise causing her to need so much insulin? Does she have absorption issues? Should she inject closer to muscle? (20 Nov 2006)

26. Before he had diabetes, my son was known as Mr. Hustle on the field. Now, he's just not that energetic. Is this related to his diabetes? (20 Nov 2006)

27. Diagnosed about two months ago, my 15 month old is having high blood sugars, despite adding insulin. What could be causing them? The doctor doesn't think her honeymoon is over. (20 Nov 2006)

28. My young daughter may have hypoglycemia. How does one determine is she has diabetes, hypoglycemia, or something else? If it's hypoglycemia, will it progress to diabetes? (20 Nov 2006)

29. My blood sugar is elevated, even after exercise and eating right. Could there be a problem with my meter? (20 Nov 2006)

30. How do I go about gaining weight without compromising my blood sugar control? (19 Nov 2006)

31. I have type 1 diabetes, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and celiac. I am having blood sugar control issues. I often feel dizzy and have blood pressure fluctuations. What could I have? Is this autonomic neuropathy? (19 Nov 2006)

32. After 51 years with diabetes, I have no complications, even though my A1c is 10. Should I be expecting something to happen in the future? (18 Nov 2006)

33. At what point do most doctors put type 2 diabetics on medication? I am concerned about elevated readings one hour after eating. My blood sugars usually are in range at two hours. (18 Nov 2006)

34. My son's school wants to train more aides. What amount of training would you recommend? Where can I find temporary tattoos that can be used for medical identification? (18 Nov 2006)

35. Are there any meters currently on the market that have the same all-in-one meter/doser set up that the InDuo had? (16 Nov 2006)

36. Can the dawn phenomenon happen after you wake up? My daughter's blood sugar is usually in range at 6:30, but high for several hours until dropping after lunch. What could be going on? (16 Nov 2006)

37. Diagnosed with type 1 in June 2004, my son has started experiencing frequent urination again. He had no bladder or kidney infections, according to our family doctor. What else should I do? Should I take him to a urologist? (16 Nov 2006)

38. What is known about kidney failure for those with type 2 diabetes? What physical exercise do we need to control it? Do people with type 2 have blood pressure problems? (16 Nov 2006)

39. My patient is having trouble drawing up a mixed shot of Regular and NPH. Is it better to start the patient on Humulin 70/30? (16 Nov 2006)

40. I have developed circles of raised, discolored scabby skin on both shins. Are they diabetes related? (16 Nov 2006)

41. Can I offer my son carbohydrates that have more than 5 grams of sugar? (16 Nov 2006)

42. I take pills and Lantus for my diabetes. Recently, my blood sugars have been elevated and I have gained weight, not lost. I continue to diet and exercise. What is going on? What should I do? (16 Nov 2006)

43. Because his sugar was elevated, my husband could get only a three month truck driver's permit. What happens to people who cannot regulate their sugar? Is my husband headed for disability? (16 Nov 2006)

44. Since my son has always drunk and urinated a lot, I had my friend test his blood sugar and it was elevated. At the doctor's office, his blood sugar was normal and they said there was no reason to be concerned. Should I pursue this further? (16 Nov 2006)

45. Could my son have early signs of diabetes? The other day he was lethargic and thirsty. After eating, his blood sugar was elevated and he had large urine ketones. Why would he have ketones if he were not fasting, not eating a low carbohydrate diet, and not ill. (14 Nov 2006)

46. Because he has a rare autoimmune disease, has a dad with type 1 and complained of thirst, my son had some tests done. His A1c was 8.3, but his blood sugars are normal. Is there anything I should be doing? The doctor plans to run more tests "later." (14 Nov 2006)

47. Is it possible that my son's accidental adult dose of a Hepatitis A vaccine caused his diabetes? He was symptomatic 36 hours after the shot. (14 Nov 2006)

48. Is it possible to inject insulin directly into a vein? What would happen? Recently, shortly after my lunch Humalog, I felt low, so I drank juice. I drank more because I continued to drop until I was very low. Two hours later, I was very high. Could I have injected the Humalog into a vein? (14 Nov 2006)

49. I take metformin and Avandia. Around 10 a.m., my sugar drops even though I eat a snack. My doctor just wants me on more pills. Should I get a second opinion? (14 Nov 2006)

50. When he has large ketones and large sugar readings, my son has a tingling all over his face. Our doctor said not to worry, but I do. Should I be concerned? (13 Nov 2006)

51. Now that I am pregnant, I need to tighten my control, but when my blood sugars are in range one hour after meals, I am then low for two hours. What do you suggest? I now take Humalog and Humulin I. (13 Nov 2006)

52. My daughter needs surgery to remove a cyst from her gums. How will this affect her diabetes and blood sugars? Should she be hospitalized the night of surgery as a precaution? (12 Nov 2006)

53. The other morning, my grandson woke up vomiting and shaky. His blood sugar was 46 mg/dl [2.6 mmol/L]. The doctor said he is fine, based on his test results. Should he have other tests? (9 Nov 2006)

54. Why is it that usually thin or normal weight individuals develop type 1 diabetes? Is it because they are making less insulin than overweight people? (9 Nov 2006)

55. Our doctor said our son has recurrent sinus infections because of diabetes. We tested him and his blood sugars were not elevated. What is your opinion? (8 Nov 2006)

56. Can you help me find 12 fun snacks for 30 boys, two of whom have diabetes? (8 Nov 2006)

57. Diagnosed with type 1 just after birth, for about 18 months, my daughter has been running very high once a month, then drops and requires very little or no insulin. What could this be? (8 Nov 2006)

58. Are there any foods that we can give our son that will not affect his blood sugar? Our son is experiencing highs as he is coming out of his honeymoon, but I don't want to deny him food. (8 Nov 2006)

59. Does it take longer for a diabetic to heal from muscle pulls or tendonitis? (8 Nov 2006)

60. Is there any relationship between Rhogam shots given to a mother with a negative blood type and their child's type 1 diabetes? Is there a relationship between vaccinations and type 1? (7 Nov 2006)

61. Should a person be treated with insulin during the honeymoon phase? Based on my history, am I really in the honeymoon? Could I not have diabetes? (7 Nov 2006)

62. Diagnosed with type 1 and Grave's disease about two months ago, our young daughter had an allergic reaction to Tapazol. She is now on PTU. Will she also be allergic to it? What other treatment options are there? (7 Nov 2006)

63. During her menstrual cycle, my daughter's blood sugars skyrocket and she ends up in the hospital in DKA. Do you see this with other teen girls? (7 Nov 2006)

64. Based on my history, can you tell me what type of diabetes I have? (7 Nov 2006)

65. Can you give me some examples of mid-morning and afternoon snacks for a diabetic? Is it okay to treat a low blood sugar with sweetened tea only? (7 Nov 2006)

66. Is it possible for someone's A1c to drop from 9.3 to 7.8 in only 28 days? (6 Nov 2006)

67. I recently had a fasting glucose of 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] and an A1c of 5.5 Does it seem extreme that the doctor has suggested diabetic counseling? (6 Nov 2006)

68. How does mononucleosis affect someone with type 1 diabetes? (6 Nov 2006)

69. If someone has some form of glucose intolerance, would you expect to see an increase in diabetic symptoms during an illness such as a cold or the flu? (6 Nov 2006)

70. I have type 1 caused by an inflammation of the pancreas due to alcoholism. Since I am no longer drinking, could my pancreas again produce insulin? I also have pancreatitis, neuropathy and am on Fentanyl patches. (6 Nov 2006)

71. Can you provide a list schools with PhD programs that focus on engineering to benefit those with diabetes? (6 Nov 2006)

72. I was recently hospitalized with a blood sugar of 1445 mg/dl [80.3 mmol/L]. How is it possible that I am still alive? What are the effects of it being that high? (2 Nov 2006)

73. At what age would you recommend that my husband get screened for stroke, heart disease and aneurysm's considering he has already had diabetes for more than 20 years and that they run in his family? (2 Nov 2006)

74. Is it correct that exercising muscle needs no or lesser insulin for glucose uptake? Should a type 2 diabetic with insulin resistance and persisting hyperglycemia be secreting continual and more insulin secretion than a normal healthy person in similar food intake? (2 Nov 2006)

75. Since my son usually runs high when travelling by car, is it unreasonable for me to ask that he be allowed to fly for a band trip rather than endure the 24 hour ride? (2 Nov 2006)

76. At 24 weeks, my blood sugar was normal. Recently, at 33 weeks, it was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Is it normal for insulin resistance to increase during pregnancy without necessarily leading to gestational diabetes? (2 Nov 2006)

77. After eight years with type 1, why does my son now need less insulin? For two weeks, we have been reducing his insulin due to low blood sugars. (2 Nov 2006)

78. My son may have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. What type of testing could be done to see if he is at risk for diabetes? (2 Nov 2006)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts