From Marble Falls, Texas, USA:

My 14 year old son, diagnosed at age three, is part of the high school band that is planning a trip this spring. The trip is a 24 hour bus ride to a major amusement center. We travel frequently and even when we travel by car and take frequent breaks, every two hours, his blood sugars go high even when we increase the basal rates.

I believe that 24 hours on a bus is too long. My son does not like to feel different, but had me request that he should be able to fly as he is afraid of the possible high blood sugars and the affect they will have on his ability to participate on the day of arrival. Am I being unreasonable to request that my son be able to fly with me to and from the destination?

I don't think you are being unreasonable. This is your son's health and you and he know best what he needs and should make the decision. If flying with you rather than riding the bus will help him stay better controlled, then that is certainly reasonable. However, if you want, I think that adjustments could be made so that he stays in control and can manage the bus trip. Your endocrinologist could guide you in making pump adjustments for the trip. I would suggest a basal increase and then correction boluses every four hours.

Posted to Traveling and Other