Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I recently had blood work for a fasting glucose and an A1c. My first fasting glucose was 109 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] several months ago. This time, it was 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L], with an A1c of 5.5. They want me to go for diabetic counseling. Does this seem a little extreme as I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, just glucose intolerance?

Answer:

Another term for your situation is pre-diabetes. Your doctor is being proactive. They are saying that you need to do something to positively influence your health and prevent the progression to frank diabetes. I think it is a good strategy and one from which I think you will benefit. Once you are diagnosed with diabetes, there is no going back.