From Birmingham, England:

My son was diagnosed in February 2006 and is only now starting to come out of the honeymoon period. Therefore, he is experiencing quite a few highs. We have advice on how to treat these but wondered if there were any foods that we can give our son that will not affect his blood sugar. I feel bad when he says he is really hungry, but I am reluctant to give him anything when he is already high and shouldn't really snack until a little later on.

The good news is that, typically, the hunger will subside once blood sugars normalize. It is quite normal for your son to be hungry right now until appropriate insulin doses are adjusted. In the meantime, some free foods include: sugar free gelatin, sugar free popsicles, sugar free beverages, small amounts of non-starchy vegetables (celery sticks, broccoli, salad, etc.). Occasionally, small amounts of lean protein can be worked in between meals or snacks to alleviate hunger. Some good items include: part skim mozzarella cheese sticks, turkey or roast beef rolled up, a couple tablespoons of peanut butter, a handful of nuts. Since your son is growing, I advise you not withhold food due to high blood sugars, but instead offer the above foods. In growing kids, insulin doses should be adjusted around food rather than food being adjusted around insulin dosages.