Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

When he has large ketones and large sugar readings, my son has a tingling all over his face that he says "really bothers me." My doctor said it was no big deal and that was how he left it, but I am concerned. As soon as the ketones go away and his sugars come down, its stops. This does not happen if he just has high blood sugars. Nothing else tingles, not his feet, hands or fingers. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

I don't know that "concern" with the tingling is necessary, but his symptoms are an odd sensation and manifestation.

If it happens "often," then it means that he has high glucose and ketones TOO often and THAT is a concern.

Ketosis can be associated with a variety of other metabolic derangements. Perhaps during these tingly spells, he should have his general chemistries tested to measure such chemicals as potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and others. Please discuss this with your pediatric endocrinologist.

Posted to Other and Hyperglycemia and DKA