Question:

From Cumming, Georgia, USA:

I have a history of type 2 diabetes in my family. But, this question is the frustration I am having with my present doctor.

My best friend's four year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. I have always noted that my son has drunk and urinated A LOT since birth. After one episode, my son was so lethargic that we almost called 911. I asked my friend to test his blood sugar just to see. On three separate occasions, he was 197 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L], 201 mg/dl [11.2 mmol/L], and 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. My husband took him to the doctor and they tested him after a nap; his blood sugar was 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. Three hours before that, it was 201 mg/dl [11.2 mmol/L], four hours after eating. So, they sent my husband home and told him I was paranoid.

Is this something I should pursue? For what should I be looking? I don't want to keep pricking his finger unnecessarily.

Answer:

If your son has symptoms of diabetes and has had elevated blood sugars, he should have a comprehensive evaluation done for diabetes by a board-certified pediatrician. I would proceed as soon as possible with that evaluation.

[Editor's comment: Please read other questions about the Diagnosis and Symptoms of diabetes. In general, diagnosis is made on a venous blood draw done by a laboratory. Readings based on home glucometers are not considered as accurate. Antibody testing may also help with the diagnosis. This is something a pediatrician/pediatric endocrinologist should be able to arrange. BH]