Question:

From Coldwater, Mississippi, USA:

My husband has been a truck driver for many years. He was diagnosed with diabetes a year or so ago and has been under the care of a doctor trained in diabetes care. They are in the process of using oral medications to bring his sugar levels down. Because he is changing jobs, he went for his DOT and his sugar was elevated. They will only give him a three month DOT card.

What happens to these people that are turned down for DOTs because they can't regulate their sugar? For instance, my husband knows trucking and that is it. He has no real skills in anything else. His livelihood is at stake. If he can't work, he cant' get his medications.

I see many people on disability. Is this what he is headed for?

Answer:

My understanding is that there are different levels of restrictions. For instance, those that have the most difficulty may have restrictions based on their level of control. They may be able to drive locally but not across the country. The biggest issue is that he needs to get after the diabetes. Everyone wants him to be healthier. I have found that the DOT will work with you. However, they will not permit you to do nothing and be cleared. Your husband needs support and encouragement from his doctor, staff, and family. I hope he takes this seriously and works to get his sugars down and gets on with his life.

Posted to Other and Type 2