Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

Can I offer my son carbohydrates that have more than 5 grams of sugar? It is not clear to me if we should avoid anything with sugar in it during mealtime, snack, etc.

Answer:

It's not as much about focusing on the sugars in foods and beverages as focusing on the total carbohydrate. The sugars you see on food labels are included in the total carbohydrate. It is certainly advisable to work in more foods with lower sugar contents for a child with diabetes, much less any child. Hopefully, you have worked with a registered dietitian who has given you some guidance with regards to amount of carbohydrates needed for your child. If not, please ask your healthcare provider for a referral to a dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning.

JMS