From Anna, Texas, USA:

My eight year old son, diagnosed with type 1 in June of 2004 has started experiencing frequent urination again. I called Children's Hospital in Dallas where we go for his diabetes check-ups and also took him to the family doctor to see if maybe he had a bladder or kidney infection, but the test came back negative. He has not been spilling ketones and his blood sugars have been in range, for the most part.

What else should I look for? How can I help my son? As soon as he voids, he pretty much has to go again. It's especially bad for him at night. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. The hospital said they didn't think it was diabetes related, but we went ahead and made a few changes to his ratios and are checking him at midnight and 3 a.m.

Would it make sense to get him to a urologist? I'm lost as to the next right step for him.

Rather than visiting with a urologist or your son's diabetes doctor at the University, I would encourage you to get established with a local board certified pediatrician -- a physician specifically trained to treat children -- who can help sort out this troublesome problem for you.