Question:

From Metropolis, Illinois, USA:

My son's school set up two and a half days of training for my son's aides. There were three that were trained. Now the school is not wanting to train new aides with the same amount of training. What amount of training would you recommend if someone is going into the school system to train an "aide" to assist a type 1 six year old child?

My son has a personal aide. She is responsible for all of his diabetic care and educational needs. She needs to be able to know signs of his and lows and how to treat them, as well as when and how to check for ketones, test his blood sugar and record all documentation on a daily basis. She is responsible for counting his carbohydrate intake, adjusting the amount of insulin, and doing the injection. Training would consist of proper training for self-management of type 1 diabetes, nutritional carbohydrate intake (counting carbohydrates), administrating insulin and emergency care - glucagon injections, etc.

Where can I find temporary tattoos that can be used for medical identification?

Answer:

A very focused training could be done in one day. I would suggest plenty of interactive sessions, with ample time for questions and answers. If you did two half-day day sessions, there could be homework or out of class activities to reinforce the learning.

BS

[Editor's comment: We are not aware of anyone who has temporary tattoos. BH]