Question:

From Chilton, Wisconsin, USA:

My daughter has had two random blood glucose tests over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] (202 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] and 249 mg/dl [13.8 mmol/L]), and many over 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. She is not showing any obvious signs of diabetes. She did have some symptoms (thirst) earlier this month, but it seems to have subsided. Could this be diabetes?

Answer:

The diagnosis of diabetes should not be based on results obtained on a handheld glucometer. I would review your daughter's symptoms and sugar testing with your pediatrician. It would be helpful to have a full history and physical examination also. Blood sugars over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] are clearly abnormal and may represent diabetes.