From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

My six and a half year old son has irrational and sometimes violent episodes when his blood sugar is not within normal ranges. This makes homeschooling very challenging. His behavior is disruptive to his siblings. He also has ADHD. This behavior is loud and makes no sense to rational thinking people. He acts and talks as if his brain were short circuiting. He says he is sitting when he is actually lying down, etc.

It is common to have behavior changes -- sometimes severe -- during episodes of low blood sugars. These seem to be less intense with high blood sugars, but behavior changes are still common with highs. Certainly, there are many other behavior disorders that children may have that are unrelated to diabetes. If these behaviors continue, I would suggest reviewing them with your pediatrician.

Posted to Behavior and Hypoglycemia