Question:

From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

I am looking for some helpful resources to learn more about carbohydrate counting. I kind of have the old mind set from when I was first diagnosed in 1988 and I need to take better control of my blood sugars. I now experience a wide range of complications from extreme sensitivity in my feet and legs, horribly sensitive stomach, and frequent fatigue. I need help in understanding more about carbohydrate counting and what the guidelines are.

Answer:

Things have changed considerably since 1988 with regards to meal planning for diabetes. Your best source of information on carbohydrate counting and obtaining an individualized meal plan would be to schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes. Ask your health care provider for a referral to someone if needed. In the meantime, you might read the Carbohydrate Counting links on our web site and on the ADA web sit. Controlling one's blood sugars with a carbohydrate counting based meal plan will most likely decrease or at least slow down some of the complications you are mentioning.

JMS