Question:

From Saskatchewan, Canada:

Are there any risks associated with using Levemir while pregnant?

Answer:

I did a Medline search for Levemir (detemir) and could not find any publications describing its use in pregnancy. I have no reason to expect that there is a risk to a baby, but I cannot provide an answer to your question. This is a problem with new drugs. Pregnant women are usually the last group to receive any attention. This is understandable in that no one wants to take the risk of using a drug that may potentially cause harm to a developing fetus. (You should google "thalidomide.") If you are pregnant and want to minimize any possible risk to the fetus, then I would suggest that you switch over to a more traditional regimen of Regular and NPH. However, many physicians are using Humalog and glargine (some of the newer analogs).

Posted to Pregnancy and Insulin Analogs