Question:

From Bozeman, Montana, USA:

I am 76, been a type 1 for 28 years, in excellent physical condition, work out consistently, am 5 feet, 11 inches and weigh 168 pounds (same as my high school weight). My A1cs have been in the 7.0 to 8.0 range, but too I've had many lows offset by highs. All blood work is in the normal range except for cholesterol. My total cholesterol is 240; HDL is 82, Total Cholesterol/HDL is 3; LDL is 147; triglycerides are 59. I am extremely allergic to statins (they cause muscle cramps). Both parents passed away at age 93. My father was a type 2 and his mother was a type 1. He also had high cholesterol. My mother and her family had no diabetes. Given the above, how am I doing versus my contemporaries? What are the chances I will live to age 95 or greater?

Answer:

Obviously, you have risk factors for heart disease that need to be managed. They include your diabetes and your cholesterol. Even though you cannot use statins, there are other cholesterol-lowering medications that can be used and should be used for you to get down to your target level. The fact that your parents were over 90 years old when they passed away means you must come from good stock. Your genetic background is favorable. However, I would not count on that alone to help you. I would actively pursue those other issues that are chronic health risks.