From Medford, Oregon, USA:

I, too, was on Accutane prior to being diagnosed with diabetes. The onset of diabetes was less than six months after taking Accutane and there is no family history. Isn't there some evidence that suggests a link between Accutane and pancreatitis? And, doesn't that often lead to diabetes?

Pancreatitis is usually an obvious fulminant problem that can lead to diabetes. I do not think it is likely to have a form of subclinical pancreatitis that would induce diabetes. I am not aware that there is good data linking Accutane with new-onset diabetes.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, CWD Founder and Editor:

The Accutane patient insert includes the following text:

blood sugar problems: Accutane may cause blood sugar problems including diabetes. Tell your doctor if you are very thirsty or urinating a lot.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Medications