Question:

From Greenwood, Mississippi, USA:

For some time, I have suspected that I have hypoglycemia. There is a history of diabetes in my family. I bought a glucose meter to test my blood sugar levels. Most days, it stays between 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] and 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L], but yesterday I had a sudden headache and felt as though I were going to faint. I tested my blood sugar level and it was 59 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L]. Is this something that I should see a doctor about or should I just avoid sugar and not see a doctor?

Answer:

A blood sugar of 59 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L] is not really diagnostic of anything. In women especially, low normal glucose values are not necessarily abnormal. If there appears to be cause and affect relationship between the lows, prevention is in order. The first order of business would be to avoid high carbohydrate foods and meals that stimulate the resulting low blood sugars. You find it helpful to see a dietitian regarding this. This condition is so common that I would try this as a first order of treatment. However, I would never say not to see your physician. You should have a primary physician for maintenance health issues anyway. The limitations of this kind of service do not always allow for precise diagnoses.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia