From Duluth, Georgia, USA:

I read your Care Suggestions regarding having your A1c results available at the appointment so that it can be discussed at that time. My endocrinologist does not provide immediate results at time of appointment and only sends out to the laboratory for results. Therefore, results are mailed to us in about two weeks. At this point, they are refusing to let us come in prior to the appointment for a blood draw. They want to do it at the appointment. They also advise against home A1c stating they are not as accurate. Any suggestions on how to handle this in a nice manner?

There are two choices: (a) Go to the laboratory with a doctor's order (perhaps sent to you two to three weeks before your appointment). It might be a patient flow thing at the office or (b) Accept the status quo.

I really don't profess to be the expert on the home systems and don't know about the quality or the ability to match the laboratories. Others might. I still do like the ability to know the A1c at the time of the visit no matter how I get the data.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c