Question:

From Carrollton, Ohio, USA:

My eight year old niece has type 1 diabetes since she was four. She takes five insulin injections everyday, Lantus and Humalog. I am concerned because every time she gets sick, even with a common cold, her blood sugar levels bottom out regardless of the amount of sugar she is given. Her parents also have to lower the amount of insulin that they give her because that makes the problem worse. My mother-in-law, the child's grandmother, thinks that she is still in her honeymoon period although she went through that shortly after she was diagnosed. Is it possible that she is still going through a honeymoon period or could it be something else?

Answer:

Your niece should follow-up with her diabetes physician to review those problematic blood sugars. The diabetes team that is taking care of her can suggest changes to her insulin dosing, if needed, to best meet her needs.

Posted to Honeymoon and Hypoglycemia