From Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain:

My son was diagnosed with diabetes in 2002. I am pleased to say that, so far, his control is fantastic. My question is regarding glucose monitoring and where to test. He normally uses his fingers when he is out, but most of the time he will use his toes if he is at home. He has been doing this for some time. I am now quite confused and worried as I read on the Internet that you should not use your toes to test your sugar levels. Is this wrong? Should I tell him to stop?

I suppose for those with circulation problems, it might not be a good idea. I really don't know why else he shouldn't.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

As long as there are no circulation or neurological problems, I also do not see any special reason why the toes cannot be used. Attention to cleanliness and proper hygiene is important, of course, since the feet even in socks tend to get more dirt, exposure, sweatiness, etc. But, if that is done well, seems all right with me, too.